Want to Join a Board?
Charter Board Partners is a national education nonprofit that supports strong school governance so that every charter public school has the board it needs to provide an excellent education to students. CBP recruits and trains top talent for service on charter boards and then strategically matches candidates to boards who need their expertise. CBP also helps boards gain the knowledge and resources necessary for effective governance.
Individuals who are selected to join a charter board will be strategically matched to a board in need of their skills and will play an active role in ensuring that every aspect of the school is optimized for students to thrive—from advising on strategy, to building community relationships, to driving academic growth to raising funds for new programs. This is an opportunity to develop a new professional skill set and network while making a tangible impact on students in Kansas City. Members lead with other professionals from a wide range of fields, and use their knowledge and resources to address the school’s most pressing needs, provide fiduciary oversight, and ensure strong student outcomes. For experienced leaders interested in applying their skills in a new and high-impact context, charter board membership is an enriching and rewarding opportunity.
The expected commitment for board members is as follows:
- Full participation in the work of the board for the duration of the board term (1-3 years), including participation in training over the course of service, as required by Missouri charter school law
- A time commitment of approximately 8-10 hours per month
- Consistent board meeting and committee meeting attendance (typically once per month)
- Willingness to travel to the school site for meetings and as needed
- Active contribution of skills, knowledge, network and resources to support the school’s success
In order to make a significant positive impact for Kansas City's charter public schools, ideal candidates will have:
- A passion for educational equity in the K-12 context
- A track record of success over 7+ years of professional experience
- Particular expertise in one or more relevant areas (e.g, finance, HR, instructional leadership, facilities, etc.)
- A collaborative and action-oriented outlook
- High standards for personal ethics and integrity
- Willingness to participate in CBP’s Board Candidate Training
TO LEARN MORE
Please reach out to Shereen Williams, Chief Governance and Recruitment Strategy Officer, 202-750-7291.
"We think we have a pretty good board. But we can do some things better."
— Jack Metz
LLT Academy, Tampa, Florida